It has been quite a rambunctious week on the farm. It started with the harrows, or the large discs used to break the soil up. Just getting the harrows to the farm was an adventure. We had to take the tractor to Avon to pick them up after being repaired, and I can tell you from personal experience that no one enjoys getting stuck behind a tractor on Winchester Rd! With a maximum speed of 20 mph, the cars were lined up as far as we could see. Murphy's Law then took effect, and it was a bumpy ride from there. Once we arrived and hooked up the hydraulic hoses it sprang a leak (actually I would equate it to a flood!), and soaked me in the oily fluid. When we got back to the farm the problems still didn't cease. While trying to maneuver them through a gate, Thomas broke a blade in half, as well as nearly pulling a huge post from the ground. Ahhhh, finally, we can harrow up the ground and get our hands in the dirt....I wish. You see, all implements hook to the back of the tractor using 3 arms, with 2 of the arms moving up and down, allowing us to control how deep to dig into the ground. Well, Thomas (in an effort to drive me crazy, I am certain), repeatedly raised them up too high, causing them to become hung in the up position. Of course, there is only 1 way to get them down: the silliest way possible. Let me just say that 2 grown men balancing on some skinny metal arms, jumping up and down in unison in an attempt to unbind them is quite comical. Actually, ridiculous. It worked for 2 or 3 times, but then we had to resort to a sledgehammer, which of course, I broke the head off of!
Needless to say, we got the garden plowed and harrowed, and even 2 rows of onions planted. We will get the rest of them in the ground, along with some peas by the end of the week. I suppose it is good to start the season out so rough, as it can only get easier from here!